Despite the derisive “big union boss” label that right wingers throw at labor leaders, unions are not the big dogs. Union representation in the United States has declined steadily since the 1950s, following federal legislation in 1947 impeding unionization. Just after World War II, about 35 percent of workers belonged to unions. And those who didn’t benefitted from the higher wages and good benefits that union workers negotiated because non-union employers felt compelled to provide competitive compensation. Last year, the percentage of U.S. workers in unions fell to 11.9, the lowest in more than 70 years.
As unions atrophied and the recession raged, the median income of working Americans declined. Meanwhile, at the top, the big dogs who run corporations continued awarding themselves colossal compensation and bonus packages. Median compensation for executives quadrupled over the past four decades. Last year, most executives got big bumps, whether their companies did well or not. Now, income inequality is greater than at any time since the robber baron days of the 1920s.
Still, somehow, legislatures across the country are rooting for CEOs, the top dogs, and bashing unions. Lawmakers in Ohio, Wisconsin, Arizona, Oklahoma, Idaho, New Hampshire,Tennessee, and South Dakota have attacked public sector unions. Politicians in South Carolina, Minnesota, New Hampshire, even Michigan and West Virginia are pushing right-to-work (for less) legislation.
- lynk25 likes this
- tamaraleach reblogged this from anticapitalist
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- iii-eyes reblogged this from glitchthemachine
- iii-eyes likes this
- principia-coh reblogged this from sinidentidades
- theveganarchist likes this
- sarahlee310 likes this
- mujica-administration reblogged this from glitchthemachine
- glitchthemachine likes this
- coolyourbears reblogged this from sinidentidades
- coolyourbears likes this
- novenator likes this
- jammiedodgersandwhiskey reblogged this from anticapitalist
- sinidentidades reblogged this from anticapitalist
- elusivemusings likes this
- anticapitalist posted this